How are the 2014 New York Yankees looking at the unofficial mark of baseball’s mid-season, the All-Star Break?
Tell me after you read these 17 stats and facts about the Bronx Bombers first 94 games of the season.
- The Yankees have a road record of 29-24, with a run differential of +8.
- At home in the Bronx, the Yankees have gone 18-23, have a -45 run differential, which is 3rd worst in MLB.
- In blowout games (5+ runs) they are 9-16 with a RD of -49.
- Their record against AL East teams is 18-20… 3-7 vs. Rays; 6-3 vs. Blue Jays; 6-4 vs. Red Sox and 3-6 vs. Orioles.
- The Yankees offensive stats are so bad their record should be like 43-51 according to baseball geeks formula, but they managed to win 47, and lose 47; a .500 baseball team heading into the break.
- Currently are in third place in the AL East, five games behind the first place Orioles.
- Yankees and Indians are both 3.5 games back in the AL Wild Card standings.
- The pitching has given up 28 fewer runs and 21 less walks at home; but they have been taken deep 58 times in the Bronx and only 46 times on the road.
- Yankees batters have grounded into 69 double plays the first half of this year, compared to 78 in 2013 and 71 in 2012.
- The Yankees have had one walk-off win and five walk-off losses.
11. They have lost 18-games where they blew the lead.
12. Vegas odds give the Yankees a 19.2% chance of making the 2014 postseason; a 14.2% shot at winning the AL East; and claim there is only a 1.2% the Bronx Bombers will win the franchise’s 28th World Series.
13. How many times do the Yankees leave runners on base per game? On average, 14.63, which is 17th worst in the Majors.
14. What is the Yankees OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) thus far in 2014? Yanks are tied with the Red Sox, as the rivals both are posting a .694 OPS, which is 21st worst in the Bigs.
15. On defense the Yankees have committed a total of 51 errors this season.
16. Yankees pitching staff is tied for 3rd most strikeouts per nine-innings in the Bigs with the LA Dodgers with 8.48 per game. At home the Yanks average 9.06 SO/9, which is 2nd most.
17. The Yankees are 11-12 in one-run games in 2014.
It is hard not to agree that the Yankees need to have a GREAT second-half in the 2014 season, unless they don’t feel like playing baseball in the Bronx come October.