Well, you certainly wouldn’t know it, as the active Yankees are cruising right along on the road and packing in the crowds during the first week of Interleague Play.
Over the weekend, the Bombers won two of three in Wrigley Field, the famous home of the Chicago Cubs. Also, according to ESPN Chicago the Cubs set a new attendance record during this three-game series with 126,283 fans in total to see them play the Yankees.
After the Sunday finale, they flew to Cincinnati and beat the Reds in the first of three with a score of 5-3.
This Monday night belonged to rookie pitcher Ivan Nova, who irrefutably flaunted how vital he can be in the starting rotation.
Nova pitched eight innings of one-run ball, fanning seven Reds, throwing 70 of his 105 pitches for strikes and didn’t issue one walk. He was locating his sinker to both sides of the plate, and he established a strikeout curveball early.
Closer Mariano Rivera had to come in and save the game, after lefty non-specialist Boone Logan hit 2010 MVP Joey Votto in the back with his first pitch. Logan got pulled after that one, and Mo posted his 18th save on the season.
Still, there was just one paramount performance and goes without saying that the Great American Ballpark is known to be a batting heaven, but not with Nova on the mound.
Nova clocked his third win in a row, certainly making the possibility of plunking Phil Hughes into the bullpen more realistic.
The Yankees have won nine of 11 and maybe the Boston Red Sox are to thank for this surge.
The Yankee players are sans their Captain for the first time since 2003, as Derek Jeter is in Tampa rehabbing his left calf. Even without Jeter, the players’ determination is undeniable and for the first time all season they look unstoppable.
As YES announcer Michael Kay says:
“Put that one on the left side!”
The Yankees are certainly showing that they can do that, at least away from Yankee Stadium.
- New York Yankees: What Do They Do with Phil Hughes When He Comes off the DL? (bleacherreport.com)
- Game 73: YANKEES vs. Reds (cmdyankees.wordpress.com)
- New York Yankees: The Cashman Rules (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees: Double Trouble In The Bronx As Bombers Lose To Rangers (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees: Alex Rodriguez Injury Revealed (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- You: MLB Rumors: Revisiting the Carlos Zambrano to the New York Yankees Rumors Again (bleacherreport.com)