Are the New York Yankees are officially cheapskates?
Not quiet, but when Japan’s Mainichi Daily News publicized that pitcher Yu Darvish had the highest bid for a Japanese player under the posting system, a reported $51.7 million and that the team was the Texas Rangers, I was totally relieved.
The Yankees do not need another Japanese import to implode, or pay millions for a pitcher to be chauffeured to throw in Scranton-Wilkes Barre for five years.
As for now Nolan Ryan and Co have just bought 30-days to negotiate with the latest Japanese import and if Darvish signs a contract the Nippon Ham Fighters will get a cool $51.7 million.
You can bet that the Rangers will have to offer Darvish at least six-years and well-over $60 million bucks for him to stay in Arlington.
Remember that in Japanese culture if Darvish were offered less, or even equal a contract than fellow countryman Daisuke Matsuzaka made with the Boston Red Sox back in 2006, it would be considered a sign of disrespect because Darvish is regarded more talented.
The Red Sox gave Dice-K a six-year, $52 million deal, which had another $8+ million in incentives and a no-trade clause. Also, add in the $51 million posting fee, a personal translator, and a Japanese chef for clubhouse in exchange for one good season in 2008. Not to mention that Red Sox fans can’t stand Dice-K, who will be out till next September recovering from Tommy John surgery.
Darvish is the David Beckham of Japan, in midst divorcing his movie star wife, has already clocked 200+ innings in his last four seasons, and all at the ripe age of 25-years old. The Rangers better pray Darvish is mature, as the cultural shock and 100 degree summer in Texas is an adjustment even for US players.
Regardless, other than a little hanky-panky by the Captain this off-season, Yankee fans are managing the role of observer/outsider just fine, even if it is not by choice.
Still, signing Darvish would cause riots because Kei Igawa disaster is still too fresh.
As a Yankee, Darvish would have no room to grow because it is all about what have you done for me now in the Bronx; and my bet is Texas will regret this one big time.
- Yankees “not getting” Yu Darvish (yankeesfansunite.wordpress.com)
- Rangers win exclusive negotiation rights with Yu Darvish (cbc.ca)
- The Yu Darvish Sweepstakes is Over, The Texas Rangers Win Negotiating Rights (inquisitr.com)
- New York Yankees Hot Stove: Not Yu Again As Bombers Bid On Darvish (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Texas Rangers win negotiating rights to Yu Darvish (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Rangers top bidding for Yu Darvish (timesunion.com)
- Yu bet! Rangers win Darvish bid (nypost.com)
- Rangers win negotiating rights to Japan’s Darvish (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- New York Yankees Hot Stove: Red Sox Been Caught Stealing (ladylovespinstripes.com)