What baseball fan doesn’t love the extra inning, walk-off win?
Maybe the fans whose team didn’t win and get to witness their favorite players partake in baseball’s version of a mosh-pit of joy.
Why was it 10x’s worse?
It is like a dagger through any Yankees fans heart when Mariano Rivera is the culprit because it so seldom happens.
In comparison it feels like you just got dumped because, speaking for myself, that same pit comes back in my stomach.
Mo is not supposed to have bad days because Yankee fans really believe he is super-human. So when a game ends like yesterday’s it makes Mo seems real, and that is the one thing he is not.
Sincerely, acknowledging that the day when Enter Sandman will be no longer play in the ninth inning is coming makes each appearance by Mo that much more extraordinary. Which, in turn makes a loss like last night’s become very personal.
Look, it happens and it will happen to Mo again but that doesn’t make it any easier for Yankee fans to swallow.
See, each of Mariano Rivera’s 566 saves or one of his 978 appearances in relief means special to someone because they get to say that they saw the greatest closer ever.
He defines what rarified air is in sports, but what makes Mo stand out even more is that even his superior talents can’t surpass his individual character.
Toronto battled in the ninth inning to tie the game, and then win it in the 10th with a score of 6-5.
The Blue Jays well deserved the win, as they outplayed the Yankees, even it did break chip away at my soul just a little.
- Snider shakes off frustration to deliver big hit (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Snider shakes off frustration to deliver big hit (boston.com)
- Jays rock Rivera and Yankees (theglobeandmail.com)
- Keefe To The City: Yankee Bullpen Trust Issues (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Blue Jays 6, Yankees 5 (10 Innings): Rivera Falters in Ninth and Blue Jays Escape With a Win in the 10th (nytimes.com)
- AL Game of the Day / Blue Jays 6, Yankees 5 (sfgate.com)
- Uh-Mo Canada!: Yanks Pitching Goes South, North of the Border (timesunion.com)