This was ridiculous of YES to blackout one of the most relevant games of Spring Training and one that fans were very excited to watch. YES had the Nets vs. Celtics game on and ESPN ran SportsCenter for two straight hours.
So, Yankee fans missed watching prospect Manny Banuelos pitch against Boston’s A-line-up. This was announced last yesterday after slated starter Sergio Mitre couldn’t go due to stiffness in his left oblique. The injury is not of any concern according to the Yankees.
Skipper Joe Girardi decided to start Banuelos in place of Mitre, which means the Yankees have faith in this kid. Banuelos is something for fans to definetly be excited about, as the just turned 20-year-old has been impressing throughout Spring Training.
Will we see Banuelos in the Bronx during 2011?
Knowing the Yankees it would be doubtful because of he needs more innings in the minors. Post-All-Star break it would not surprise me if that sentiment changes because Banuelos is that talented and keeping him in the minors is wasting his talents.
Since I could not watch the game here is the NY Post writer Brian Costello’s article of how Banuelos outing went.
FORT MYERS, Fla. — With all the hype around Manuel Banuelos, you expected the Yankees prospect to levitate to the mound, turn the water in the cooler into wine and throw lightning bolts from his left hand against the Red Sox last night.
He didn’t quite do all that, but Banuelos was impressive in his first start of the spring. The 20-year-old left-hander struggled with his control, but showed poise when he got into jams and gave glimpses of a filthy fastball and a nasty changeup. He allowed two hits in 2 2/3 shutout innings, striking out two and walking three.
Read the rest of article HERE….
- Yankees test a keeper and encounter a castoff (theglobeandmail.com)
- Banuelos To Start Tonight vs. Boston (slidingintohome.blogspot.com)
- Banuelos hangs tough vs. Sawx regulars (nypost.com)
- Yankees’ Banuelos bends, doesn’t break against Red Sox (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Cashman: Banuelos likely bound for Minors (mlb.mlb.com)
- Sweeny Says: Meet Manny Banuelos (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Red Sox bullpen shuts down Yankees (theglobeandmail.com)