NJ Star Ledger’s Marc Craig is reporting that New York Yankee pitcher Joba Chamberlain elbow injury has escalated from the 15-day DL to having a torn elbow ligament that might require Tommy John surgery.
This is not good news for the Yankees bullpen, who had the most solid group of arms to start the season and now the majority of them are on the DL.
This is unfortunate but fixable, but the Yankees have keep to together through this rough patch long enough for GM Brian Cashman to make it better.
Phil Hughes is throwing to live batters and there is no reason to not put him in the bullpen when he returns in two weeks. If you remember back in 2009, Hughes dominated in the long-relief role and he was a major reason for the team turning it around mid-season.
I am aware that this trio known as the ‘Killer B’s’ are still developing, but their talent is evident.
Brackman and Bentances have dealt with injuries and need more time to develop but have been noted as not being close to Major-League ready yet. Brackman has not been as effective this season either.
Without question the youngest of the three, 19-year-old Banuelos is by far the most talented. During Spring Training even the great Mariano Rivera took notice, as he told ESPN that Banuelos was “the best prospect I’ve ever seen.”
Cashman will exercise all other options before Banuelos is even a possibility. Cashman knows how special this kid is and the Yankees have messed up enough young arms being selfish already.
My bet is that Banuelos will make an appearance in the Bronx before the end of the 2011 season because there really are not many other solutions for the Yankee to go after. They need help in the bullpen or else the season could be in jeopardy.
- Joba Chamberlain has a torn elbow ligament; Tommy John surgery likely (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- New York Yankees Update: Joba Heads To 15-Day DL (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Yankees Joba Chamberlain Heading To The Disabled List (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- King: Yanks Very Concerned About Joba (slidingintohome.blogspot.com)
- Joba Chamberlain to the disabled list (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Joba Chamberlain DL Stint Leaves Yankees Two Setup Men Short (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Chamberlain likely to undergo Tommy John Surgery (slidingintohome.blogspot.com)