Following the game, I was driving back to the city from the long July 4th weekend listening to 1010 News for traffic updates.
As the news anchor was going over the sports scores, he was summing up the New York Yankees 6-3 loss to the Cleveland Indians. He said AJ Burnett was perfect through six innings until he gave up a three-run homer to ex-Yankee Austin Kearns; how Curtis Granderson hit his 23rd home-run in the eighth…. this was all true.
Then the one-thing Yankee fans don’t want to hear was uttered; that All-Star closer Mariano Rivera was not available even if skipper Joe Girardi needed him. It was due to a sore left triceps and the newscaster went on to say that no tests were scheduled for Rivera at this point.
AP Sports Writer, Tom Withers confirmed the news after Girardi revealed it following the game in Cleveland. This is not comforting for Yankee fans, as masking the severity of injuries is a Bomber specialty.
K-rod has already said that he would happily accept a set-up role if traded to the Yankees.
The question that remains whether the Yankees trade for another possible closer, or just use should-be All-Star David Robertson for the time being, while keeping their fingers crossed down the stretch.
Regardless, the 41-year-old Rivera is the rock of this ball club posting 21 saves and a 1.91 ERA on the season so far.
All fans can do is just pray that the Yankees are not down-playing this one because as of right now, this is not encouraging at all.
All I know is that life without Rivera is no life at all.
- Rivera Has Sore Triceps Muscle (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Do The Yankees Want K-Rod When They Already Have David Robertson? (yankeesfansunite.wordpress.com)
- New York Yankees: Mariano Rivera Is Human After All (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Mets Rally To Beat Yankees 3-2 (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Jeter Hitless In Return With Yankees (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- New York Yankees Rumors: Alex Rodriguez Injuries Mount (ladylovespinstripes.com)