The latest question swirling around Yankee Universe is who will fill the void at DH?
Matsui was the 2009 World Series MVP and was let go after single-handily leading the Yankees to their 27th Championship, and fans were not happy at all.
So, when I told my dad that the Yankees were thinking of bringing back Hideki Matsui in 2012 his hopeful excitement made me reconsider if I should have said anything.
Matsui has been my father’s favorite player from the day he came to the US from Japan, and he still rants about the reason behind letting Godzilla leave in the first place.
My thought is would Matsui want to come back after being treated so poorly?
One aspect of Japanese culture that I am in utter awe of is the sense respect, tradition and commitment that each possesses in all aspects of life. Matsui was so level-headed, and like my father his work ethic and sportsmanship was almost surreal.
So, this makes me wonder whether Matsui would even listen to the suggestion of playing in the Bronx again because it is a sign of disrespect?
Matsui certainly doesn’t need the money or the celebrity, as he is already a living icon in Japan. He has won a World Series, was the MVP of it and never said a bad word about the Yankees after they abandoned him.
Now, do I want Matsui back in 2012?
Yes, yes and yes but only on his terms and if he says no, I completely get it.
My dad might not be as understanding because things haven’t been the same for him since Matsui was sent packing and he would love “A Thrilla from Godzilla!”
- Report: Yankees, Hideki Matsui Have Been In Contact (tracking.si.com)
- Yankees have had “some contact” with Matsui (yankeesfansunite.wordpress.com)
- The Yankees and Hideki Matsui have been in contact (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- New York Yankees Continue To Look Towards Hideki Matsui (bleacherreport.com)
- Fukuko Matsui finds vitality in decay (japantimes.co.jp)
- A’s “going younger” could mean passing on Hideki Matsui (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Darvish’s appeal rises above recent shift (mlb.mlb.com)
- Japan trip is a go; Matsui a virtual lock to return to A’s (sfgate.com)
- Hideki Matsui unlikely to re-sign with A’s (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Bats: Hughes Gets One-Year Deal, but Future Isn’t Secure (bats.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Yankees’ May Go In-House With DH Options (newyork.cbslocal.com)