It looks to be a nice change from all the usual drama that comes with being a Yankee and playing in New York. Sometimes you forget why the team is in Tampa in the first place.
Colon showed up to camp, which has been a problem for the 2005 CY Young winner in the past. He came in 25 pounds heavier, which is almost unimaginable considering he has never been accused of being skinny prior.
Colon hasn’t pitched in over two years for a Major League team, but has been playing in the Dominican League over the winter.
Here is the rest of the pitching order:
Saturday vs. Phillies: Bartolo Colon
Sunday at Phillies: Ivan Nova
Monday at Tigers: CC Sabathia
Tuesday at Pirates: A.J. Burnett
Wednesday vs. Astros: Phil Hughes
Thursday at Rays: Freddy Garcia
The press is already starting World War III against the Bombers, asking Girardi why Burnett is behind Sabathia and not Hughes.
I would more concerned with why Colon is starting, but Girardi stated it was because he had been pitching the most recently. This is the same Colon that cannot partake in drills because he is so out-of-shape, right?
For crying out loud, it is just Spring Training and even I am guilty of acting as if this is the Yankees post-season rotation.
Considering many experts have already labeled the Yankees the underdogs, who might have problems nabbing a Wild Card spot, it was hard to not feel almost brainwashed.
I can say that my sentiments have changed since the players got to camp.
Here is why:
- Robinson Cano who almost won the MVP went to work with six day a week workouts to get better.
- Sabathia lost 25-30 pounds.
- Alex Rodriguez is in the best shape I have seen in years and his attitude was so carefree.
- Jeter was anxious to start 2011 season back in 2010.
- Hank Steinbrenner tells it like it is, maybe could filter a little but it wouldn’t be the Yankees without a loudmouth Steinbrenner in the front-office.
- AJ Burnett has worked so hard to be the pitcher the Yankees signed. I commend his efforts and know he will see results.
- Yankees bullpen is ridiculously good.
- Yankees line-up is still ridiculously good.
- The rotation is not as terrible as initially thought; as Hughes has no innings limit and Ivan Nova will be a certifiable fourth or fifth starter.
- Overall, the motivation is there and no team wins more when determined than the Yankees.
All I can say is that this team has players who might not have many more seasons left and the time is now.
Just think…. Opening Day is right around the corner and Sabathia, Colon will be on the mound against the Tigers on March 31st.
- Derek Jeter shrugs off Steinbrenner’s comments about ‘mansions’ (sportingnews.com)
- Prior throws mound session in front of Girardi (mlb.mlb.com)
- Yankees to give ball to Colon to open slate (mlb.mlb.com)
- New York Yankees: Cashman Signs Another ‘Maybe’ Pitcher Freddy Garcia (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees: What’s AJ Burnett Up To This Off-Season? He’s Fixing Himself. (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- 2011 New York Yankees: Media Baiting The Bombers Right Into Winning No. 28 (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Brain Cashman: GM Makes New York Yankees Look Desperate By Signing Bartolo Colon (ladylovespinstripes.com)