An ageless winner; the definition of a team player, who even after 17 seasons is just as humbled after recording his 602nd save playing the game he loves and respects so much.
When I think of Rivera, the two words that have forever come to my mind is rarefied air. Growing up watching Rivera has completely memorized me, as he exudes such a distinguishing, yet graceful confidence that is surreal.
We live in an age today where the authenticity of everything, including professional sports is hanging on by a thread. Athletes have fallen out of love with the game; and they take for granted the superior abilities that allow them to compete at a level that most of us can only dream about. The words over-paid, entitled and cheaters have become the norm in sports and it is a shame.
But then there are days like yesterday, when one man named Mariano Rivera makes us all pause and be grateful again.
Not just Yankees or baseball fans, but all sports fans are eternally indebted to Mariano Rivera for letting us take this ride with him.
Thank you Mo!!!
- From “Heritage Hardball” to the History Books, Mariano Rivera and 602 (timesunion.com)
- Mariano Rivera claims baseball’s saves crown (marketwatch.com)
- O’Connor: Mo’s poise under pressure unrivaled (crawlnet.wordpress.com)
- Yankees’ Mariano Rivera nabs all-time save record (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera ties MLB mark with 601st career save (ballhyped.com)
- Mariano Rivera By the Numbers (nypost.com)
- Mariano Rivera’s 602nd Save is simply a confirmation of what we already knew (michaeledwardkelly.com)
- Mariano Rivera Sets MLB Record with Save 602 (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- 602! Mariano Rivera Stands Alone as MLB’s All-Time Saves Leader (bleacherreport.com)