The New York Yankeesare cruising right along.
Since sweeping the Mets, the Bombers won their fourth in-game in row tonight 3-0, in their first of three games vs. the Braves down in Hot-lanta.
To give you a better idea of just how well the Yankees have played here are some quick stats:
- Won 14 of their last 18 games.
- 8-2 in the month of June.
- Yankees led the majors in homers (92); 6th in batting average (.265); 8th in RBIs (270); 8th in runs (281); tied for 3rd in wins (34).
- Yankees are tied for 1st place in the AL East with the Tampa Bay Rays with 35-25 records.
- Batting average on the weekends, Friday – Sunday is .280.
There are still some overall areas where the Yankees need to improve:
- Yankees have the worst batting average (.149) in baseball with the bases loaded; fourth worst batting average (.220) with RISP (runners in scoring position).
- Need to hit better on the weekdays as from Monday – Thursday the team’s batting average is .253; that is 30 points lower than on weekends.
- 32 steals ranks 25th in the Majors; in 2011 the Yankees had 46 steals at the end of May.
- Depending on the long-ball too much to win games.
The Yankees are without a doubt playing better over the last few weeks but they still have two more games vs. the Braves, and then a tough weekend series in Washington vs. the hot Nationals.
Timing could not be better for the Yankees to be almost fully clicking because things could have gone in one of two directions about three weeks ago.
Thank goodness it went in the winning one; now the fight is to keep it that way.