Unfortunately for the Yankees this off-season’s free agent arms are not the greatest; and entirely incomparable to the available position players like Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Jose Reyes.
There is the idea that this hole could be addressed internally with one of the team’s prized pitching prospects, specifically Manny Banuelos or Dellin Betances but Cashman squashed any hope that Yankee fans would be seeing them in 2012.
Cashman told WFAN’s Mike Francesca in a radio interview last week that Banuelos and Betances are not ready to break in yet, and that 2013 is more likely for the two known as the Killer B’s.
Then there is Japanese phenom Yu Darvish, and if anyone knows that success doesn’t necessarily transfer across the ocean it is Cashman. Remember the $45 million dollar Kei Igawa fiasco, which only made history for having the highest paid player ever in Scranton Wilkes Barre’s history.
Who should the Yankees pursue out of Oswalt, Buehrle or Wilson?
A simple process of elimination and with no clear ace on the market, the task is not as hard.
Here are the six factors in order that I consider to be most important:
- Injury history and age.
- Innings pitched, strikeouts, walks and home-runs. Compare the last three seasons to see if the overall numbers improved or declined. Yankee Stadium is a hitting friendly ballpark, so home-runs matter more.
- Look at any numbers vs. AL East hitters.
- Did they win against offensively anemic teams a lot more?
- Look for any patterns that might hide under stats but could be a potential issue.
- Postseason numbers, but not as a deal breaker if everything else is mostly positive.
One advantage that the Yankees are blessed with is generous owners; making money rarely an issue to a certain degree of course.
Still, not one MLB team wants to get stuck with a useless and overpaid player hogging a coveted roster spot. The Yankees, along with the 29 other teams get the allowed 25 roster spots, so having as close to an unlimited as possible in the payroll department can actually work against a team just as much.
Now, pretend you are GM Brian Cashman, how and whom would you choose to go after this off-season?
Is it Oswalt, Buehrle or Wilson?
Look for this Lady’s answer in the next post.
- Yankees’ Cashman contacts C.J. Wilson’s agent (espn.go.com)
- You: New York Yankees: Cashman Says Banuelos and Betances Not Ready for Primetime (bleacherreport.com)
- Yankees contact the agent for Roy Oswalt, C.J. Wilson (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- New York Yankees: CC Sabathia Opts To Stay (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Yankees’ Cashman contacts C.J. Wilson’s agent (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Cashman Talks To Wilson’s Agent & Some Quotes on Darvish (slidingintohome.blogspot.com)
- Preliminary discussions with Edwin Jackson have begun (yankeesfansunite.wordpress.com)
- GM Brian Cashman agrees to 3 more years with Yanks (seattletimes.nwsource.com)