All it took was adding another year (with an option of adding a second) and $30 million rise.
Sabathia’s new contract, which supersedes the remaining four years and $92 million left his original contract, is for five years at $122 million.
The 31-year old lefty will earn $25 million in 2016, which is the last guaranteed year of the new contract, but there is a sixth ear vesting option for another $25 million or a team buyout for $5 million, but that depends on health etc. So ultimately Sabathia could rake in another $147 million in total.
Yankee fans are ecstatic about keeping their ace, while avoiding any repeat of the drama that ensued from last year’s off-season.
This is not the outcome that anyone expected after SI.com’s Jon Heyman reported that Sabathia was definitely opting out and planned on becoming a free agent before Monday’s deadline.
Maybe in the future Mr. Heyman should check his anonymous sources credibility before making such declarations and sending Yankee Universe into a tailspin.
Sabathia took to Twitter to let Yankee fans know of his decision:
Yankee fans, I’ll be here fighting for number 28 next year!
Sabathia also tweeted a link to this video:
- Yankees Hot Stove Breaking News: CC Sabathia Set to Return to the Yankees (bleacherreport.com)
- CC Sabathia Staying With Yankees After Agreeing To New Deal (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- CC Sabathia Decides to Stay with New York Yankees, Won’t Opt out of Deal (bleacherreport.com)
- Yankees Pick Up Options On Cano And Swisher (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- APNewsBreak: Sabathia has new deal with Yankees (seattletimes.nwsource.com)