“There’s too much drama, man,” … “There’s too much drama. I have been thinking about a lot of things. I don’t know if I want to be part of this drama for next year.” – David Ortiz
Well, Big Papi in the Big Apple probably isn’t going to happen, as the Yankees are already have plenty of players to fill that DH spot and I doubt Ortiz would be willing to only hit on a part-time basis. He is also not exactly useful defensively at all at is 35 years of age.
Otherwise, Ortiz had a nice 2011 with 162 hits, 96 RBIs, 29 home-runs and a .309 batting average. He is a patient hitter drawing 78 walks, with a OBP of .398 and his a tough out for any pitcher with just 83 strikeouts on the season.
Even though the New York fans I have spoken with embraced the idea the Yankees of signing Ortiz to a one-year deal out of spite, don’t hold your breath.
The Yankees, like all MLB teams play with a 25-man roster except for the month of September, which leaves no room for decisions to be base on spite.
Sorry, Big Papi but next time you want less drama maybe not getting on national TV in the thick of things and stating that you would play for the New York Yankees would be a better idea.
It puts a dagger right through the hearts of your loyal fans that the Yankees are everything the Red Sox are not, and don’t they deserve better?
My bet is Ortiz will follow his ex-manager Terry Francona that is if Tito decides to manage next season somewhere else.
I don’t want to speak to soon about anything, but my heart does go out to Red Sox fans as this whole thing just sucks.
- David Ortiz: Why Big Papi Was Just What Yankees Were Missing in October (bleacherreport.com)
- Big Papi to Big Apple? Ortiz talks free agency (espn.go.com)
- Last thing Yanks need is Big Papi (nypost.com)
- David Ortiz Open To Signing With Yankees; Slugger Tired Of Red Sox ‘Drama’ (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Papi says he’ll ‘think about’ playing for the Yankees (aol.sportingnews.com)
- David Ortiz open to joining Yankees … does it matter? (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Yankees Drama Ain’t Got Nothing On In Beantown (ladylovespinstripes.com)