What year is it…2011?
Well, you could have fooled me as it sure felt like 2005 up at the Roger Centre in Toronto tonight, watching New York Yankees pitcher Bartolo Colon throw a gem in his first start filling in for Phil Hughes who is still on the DL with a dead-arm.
After losing a heartbreaker the night before in the bottom of the 10th inning, Colon led his new Yankee teammates to a well needed win. It came as a surprise, but not a shock after the impressive numbers Colon had in Spring Training.
Colon exhibited such an aura of confidence that you would have never guessed it was his first start on a Major League mound since July 24, 2009. He allowed seven hits and two runs over 6 2/3 innings. He struck out seven batters in the tough and hard-hitting Blue Jays line-up, while walking just two. At one point he sent 12 Blue Jays down in a row.
Cashman got such grief, me included before the 2011 season started and all the while he was just doing his job and well I might add.
Looking forward to watching Colon in his next start because after tonight he certainly earned another start on the bump.
Hey, it is about time the low-risk/high-reward actually worked for the Yankees.
The odds were in the ball-clubs favor, as Cashman probably learned after his first few failures of taking on older talent in hopes of a re-birth.
So, could the 37-year-old Colon be turning back into a pitching machine?
As isn’t the never-ending mystery of sports why fans love it in the first place?
Darn right it is….
My advice to Hughes is you better get to work and wake-up that arm because you spot is not guaranteed after the show Colon put on in Toronto tonight.
- Yankees’ Bartolo Colon Set To Make First Start Since ’09 (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- New York Yankees: Fans Are Furious That GM Brian Cashman Was Actually Right (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Bartolo Colon to take the place of Phil Hughes (thebaseballblog10.wordpress.com)
- Colon gives Yanks more than enough to win (mlb.mlb.com)
- Yankees Place Hughes on Disabled List (bats.blogs.nytimes.com)
- New York Yankees: Bartolo Colon in Rotation After Phil Hughes Placed on DL (bleacherreport.com)
- Colon Says He Is Feeling Strong (bats.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Trip to scrap yard paying off for Cashman (nypost.com)
- Keefe To The City: April Apologies To The Yankees (newyork.cbslocal.com)