The Subway Series and New York City bragging rights were at stake on Sunday afternoon, as the outcome of the rubber match between the Yankees and Mets got decided in one heck of a 7th inning up in the Bronx:
- Entering the 7th inning, the Yankees were down 3-1 to the Mets, with no real signs of hope.
- The one on the scoreboard came off another Curtis Granderson home-run in the 1st inning, but otherwise it was the same old stranding runners-on-base.
- The Captain came up clutch with a double that drove in the two runs that tied the game 3-3.
- Curtis Granderson has 16 home-runs, but the guy is just lethal with the bat period. His sacrifice bunt was perfectly knocked down the third-base line, setting up the go-ahead-run.
- After the Mets walked Mark Teixeira, A-Rod hit a blooper that but ran his heart out and the meager hit was enough for the run to score to put the Yankees on top.
- 13 Yankees hitters produced five singles, two walks, one double, and a sacrifice in this brilliant inning of small-ball.
- Not one of the total eight runs scored in 7th came off a home-run.
Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reported that was the inning the Yankees have been looking for according to A-Rod who he quoted saying:
“There were a lot of good things that happened in that inning, starting with Gardy, and Dickerson drew a nice walk, a perfect base hit by Jeter and a perfect bunt by Granderson. That sets up the big inning and those are the things we haven’t been doing the last few weeks. We can’t hit a three-run homer every time.”
The Mets only managed to score three runs off the 11 total hits they had off Yankees rookie Ivan Nova.
The Yankees beat the Mets 9-3, taking the rubber game and the series 2-1.
Now Yankee fans can look toward the Empire State Building, as it will be glowing of pinstripes for the next few nights.
- Yankees Rally To Beat Mets 9-3, Win Subway Series (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Yanks Hit 4 HRs, Beat Mets 7-3 in Subway Series (abcnews.go.com)
- New York Yankees: CC Sabathia Is Actually Right On Track (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Yankees slam four homers to even Subway Series with Mets (nypost.com)
- Powered-up Yanks go all small ball on the Mets (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Mets take Subway Series opener over Yankees in Bronx (cbssports.com)
- Jeter, A-Rod spark Yankees over Mets 9-3 (boston.com)
- Subway Series Rubber Game Lineups (slidingintohome.blogspot.com)