Burnett’s usual seesawing has not been even in a bad way and as of now he is deemed unreliable. This season, Burnett is 10-13, with a 5.13 ERA, giving-up 20 home-runs, walking 72 and striking out 132 over 29 starts.
Burnett’s strikeouts have dropped significantly, as in 08’ he fanned 231 batters and last season he posted 195 total in regular season. Watching him pitch loses control much sooner that in the past, as he has hit a career high of 14 batters in 2010 and season is not over yet.
In his career, Burnett’s held batters to a .241 average, but this season it has jumped to .284 when he is on the mound.
Tonight, Burnett has a chance to take the minor improvements he has made since going win-less in August and show us the ace he is capable of being.
Burnett has made three starts in September going 1-1, with an ERA of 4.76, striking out 19 over 17 innings pitched. His last start was cut after four innings due to rain, but he had already struck-out six and looked a lot better.
The Yankees bats need to cushion Burnett. Even when Burnett is on, he can have one bad inning and it helps take the pressure off a mentally struggling teammate.
Striking-out has been the theme too much lately at the plate. This needs to change ASAP and with Kevin Millwood on the mound for the Orioles there is absolutely no excuse for anything but a marked improvement.
Millwood is 1-7 in 14 starts, with an ERA of 5.38 at Camden Yard this season.
Overall in 2010, Millwood’s totals over 28 starts read 101 earned runs, 27 home-runs, walking 57 and striking-out 114. Opposing batters have a .301 average against the O’s veteran and a Yankees win is almost mandatory.
Related articles by Zemanta
- September skid puts once-certain playoff berth in jeopardy (nypost.com)
- New York Yankees: The Real Situation (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees Need AJ Burnett To Lose The Attitude (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees vs. Texas Rangers: Pitching Prediction for A.J. Burnett (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees Leave It To AJ Burnett (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- New York Yankees Fix or Fail: Top Five Questions To Be Answered (ladylovespinstripes.com)