The perpetually humble Rivera hugged his teammates before telling YES’s Kim Jones that the team won is what was important. Mo also went on to say:
First of all, I have to thank God, my wife and my kids. God gave (the cutter) to me. Thank God he gave it to me. (600) is a great number, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t look for those things.
Here are a few of Mo’s greatest career accomplishments:
- 600 Career Saves (only behind closer Trevor Hoffman who has 601).
- 42 Postseason Saves (most-ever).
- 12-time AL All-Star.
- 5-time Rolaids Relief Award Winner.
- 1999 World Series MVP.
- 2003 ALCS MVP.
- 5-time World Series Champion in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009.
All I can say, as a sports fan there are not many athletes that have, or ever will have such natural talent like Mariano Rivera.
All I can say, as a person is that there are not many human beings built like Mariano Rivera.
Mo is as unpretentious, as he is competitive. This man is a winner, a father, a husband and just an overall good person who never takes his accomplishments for granted. He is the greatest teammate.
Speaking for myself, it has been an absolute honor to be a fan of Mariano Rivera’s the last 17 seasons. Mo is the greatest closer ever and luckily he brought the Yankees along for the ride.
Let me leave you with some quotes from Mariano’s baseball peers:
“I respect Mo more than anybody in the game. The guy goes out there, gets three outs and shakes Jorge Posada‘s hand. You appreciate someone who respects the game like he does, respects the people he plays with and against, and obviously his results speak for themselves.” – Michael Young, Texas Rangers
“I think everyone should look up to Mariano. Not just relievers, players in general. He doesn’t show anyone up, he treats his teammates with respect, he treats his opponents with respect. For him to say those words about me let’s me know I’ve done a decent job in following him.” – Joe Nathan, Minnesota Twins
“Everything about Mariano is amazing. He’s synonymous with greatness and the Yankees. A hundred years from now, they’ll be saying we all saw the greatest closer of all-time. I’m like you guys; I’m just witnessing history.” – Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
“Take my hand. We’re off to never-never land.”
- Keidel: Mariano Rivera: Mr. 600 (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Tom Verducci: As he nears record, Rivera’s career a study of poetry in motion (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- New York Yankees: Spoke Too Soon (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Mariano Rivera almost went to the Boston Red Sox (fitzandvig.com)
- Yankees Mariano Rivera approaching save record (theglobeandmail.com)
- Mo’s 600th save preserves win for Burnett (mlb.mlb.com)
- New York Yankees: Losing Is Contagious (ladylovespinstripes.com)