Just as fans start to comprehend that the New York Yankees are all about one-year deals this off-season, the brass throws another curveball that makes no sense.
Here is the gist of it:
– Russell Martin signs a 2-year, $17 million deal with the Pirates, as Yankees didn’t even counter the offer as it was one season too many.
– Yankees watch their everyday starting catcher leave, and now have a big hole.
– The leftovers are Romine, Cervelli and Stewart who are backup catchers and defensive replacements at best.
– Presumably the Yankees are on the hunt for a legit everyday backstop that would accept a one-year deal.
– MLB.com reports that free agent catcher AJ Pierzynski has accepted a one-year, $7.5 million deal to play for the Texas Rangers in 2013.
Um… what happened here?
The Yankees need a real starting catcher and so the rumors about them being in discussions with Pierzynski were considered just a given.
It was assumed that Pierzynski would want more than a one-year deal, which obviously would hinder the Yankees likelihood of getting him.
So when the news broke that the Rangers snagged Pierzynski for just a season it was very confusing but the explanation was the Yankees were concerned about Pierzynski’s defense skill-set.
Didn’t make an offer?
Worried about defense?
Oh please.. that is the poorest excuse ever, as the Yankees won four World Series with Jorge Posada (didn’t make 1996 PS roster) who was not exactly known for his defensive prowess but could rake.
In his 15-year career, Pierzynski has a career batting average of .284 but what number really stood out was the .316 BA in RISP he posted last season.
It is no secret that the Yankee bats struggle big time with runners-in-scoring-position so not even making Pierzynski an offer is unbelievable to me.
I am getting the distinct feeling that Hal Steinbrenner is behind this and poor GM Brain Cashman looks like the fall guy again.
So if anyone can explain this differently to me….please do.
Just to give ou an idea here are a few tweets about how other Yankee fans reacted to this news: