1. The Tampa Bay Rays seem to be creeping up. It has been a slow process but Joe Madden is making sure his team is in reach. My bet is that this young, talented ball club will pounce and it will happen fast. Lets not forget where the Yankees just were in the standings at the All-Star break. Either team cause their division peers will take the lose as one whole and with Boston still lurking in the middle critical for the Yankees to put themselves ahead.
2. Now the Boston Red Sox are struggling. This is largely due to injuries. As any one familiar with baseball knows that it happens and it is unfortunate but it can kill any hope for a teams future. The Rays just got back two of their best pitchers from last season recently and Evan Longoria‘s bat is heating up.
3. Also keep in mind that Tampa is not the rookie team it was of two seasons ago because the players have gone the distance. Being aware of what it takes to get through this long season. Imagine making it to the World Series only to lose has got to be a huge motivation for these athletes. What a way to start a winning streak then to take down the almighty New York Yankees.
The Yankees need to win this series for mental reasons just as much as where the team will stand in the toughest divisional race in baseball, the American League East.Tampa will attack any weaknesses and the Yanks need to continue to play consistent baseball in which all aspects play a part.
If the team happens to revert back to the pitching doing their jobs but the hitters are stranding runners on base or vice-versa it will be worrisome.
The Yankees need to prove themselves in this series as next week it is Boston and the team needs to go in with the most confidence possible!!
Good Luck and GOOOO YANNNNKKKEEEESSSSS!!!
- Rays sign Maddon to three-year contract extension (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Yankees’ Rivera hints 2012 may be his last year (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Yankees’ pitching talented but fragile (msn.foxsports.com)
- New York Yankees News: Linsanity, Girardi Counting on A-Rod and a Thinner CC (pinstripealley.com)