If you had not heard yet, ex-New York Mets skipper, turned ESPN analyst Booby Valentine has been named the new GM of the Boston Red Sox.
Valentine will have his hands full in Beantown, as he will have to crackdown on the Red Sox players who preferred hosting keg parties and eating fired chicken to cheering on their teammates.
Valentine knows that Boston fans are still stewing, and rightly so considering the level of betrayal they felt by their beloved Red Sox.
Luckily for Valentine, ringleader and pitcher John Lackey is already out for the entire 2012 season. Lackey was deemed injured about a week after the September collapse. The Red Sox declared that Lackey needed Tommy John surgery, which approximately has a 12-15 month recovery.
I am not buying it as Lackey beat the O’s and than the Yankees in his last two starts in 2011. Both were his best two outings in I don’t know how long and speaking from someone who had elbow surgery less than two years ago, that would seem not a typical symptom.
Regardless, this is not about what doesn’t work in Boston because naming Valentine was the best news Red Sox Nation has heard in what seems like forever.
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reported that the Red Sox would announce Valentine as their new skipper at some point on Wednesday, so look for a press conference at some point this afternoon.
- The Red Sox Plan To Hire Bobby Valentine, And Things Are About To Get Even Crazier In Boston (businessinsider.com)
- Report: Boston Red Sox And Bobby Valentine Reach Agreement (tracking.si.com)
- Red Sox go with Valentine (thestar.com)
- Sources: Bobby Valentine Will Be Next Red Sox Manager (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Bobby Valentine To Red Sox As Next Manager: REPORT (huffingtonpost.com)
- Yankees quiet on Boston’s move (nypost.com)