This didn’t register to me considering the Yankees already have a better version of Silva in Bartolo Colon and Freddie Garcia, but I wouldn’t hold it past GM Brian Cashman especially with the new nursing home he has created down in Tampa.
Silva is owed $12 million on his current contract for 2011 and even though the Yankees can easily pay that, he is definitely not worth it.
Silva is about to turn 32-years-old, has a bad attitude and is overweight at 250 lbs; even at 6’4 that screams out-of-shape.
Also, Silva’s now referred to as his personal catcher, Geovany Soto have to come with him so he doesn’t start fights in the dugout?
I find that pitchers (i.e. Randy Johnson) who have personal catchers to always be a problem. Some people do work better together and if it can change a game’s outcome fine, but out of the two or three catchers already on the roaster.
Look, if the majority of aces like Sabathia, Halladay, Lee, Lester, Johnson etc. can do it than there is no reason that a guy like Silva is living like he is P-Diddy.
Silva is not even a good pitcher. He can’t throw for strikes, doesn’t eat innings and pitches to contact.
Last season, Silva went 10-6 in 21 starts, with a 4.22 ERA, allowing 120 hits, striking out 80 over 113 innings and this was a good year.
In 2009-2008 when Silva was a Seattle mariner he made 36 starts, posting a 5-18 record, a 6.81 ERA, giving-up 254 hits, 139 earned runs and only fanned 79 batters.
Even mentioning the idea of acquiring Silva is just wrong. Silva has never put up solid numbers in his nine-year career, like Colon and Garcia have.
This is NOT a guy the Yankees want or need. He is the definition of a clubhouse cancer, whose antics do not get evened out by his play on the field. He has been god-awful in his first two spring starts and his last one was just okay.
Bottom line is starting a fight in the dugout during Spring Training is something the Yankees don’t want to be a part of.
The Cubs would love to dump Silva and his paycheck literally anywhere and that should be enough of a reason in itself to stay far, far away.
- Carlos Silva-Aramis Ramirez Fight: Cubs Players Brawl in Dugout (nowpublic.com)
- 2011 csd Preview – Carlos Silva (csdscustomcards.wordpress.com)
- Carlos Silva gets into it with teammate (msn.foxsports.com)
- Carlos Silva Doesn’t Fight This Time, Still Sucks (sbnation.com)
- Carlos Silva Shows Us Why Spring Training DOES Matter (theiinteamblog.wordpress.com)
- Silva scuffles in dugout (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Brain Cashman: GM Makes New York Yankees Look Desperate By Signing Bartolo Colon (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Carlos Silva Sucks, Fights, And Leaves (sbnation.com)
- MLB Trade Rumors: Yankees Want To Bring Twins Francisco Liriano To New York (ladylovespinstripes.com)