The Boston Globe recently featured a story by Nick Cafardo that suggested the Red Sox should have interest in New York Mets shortstop Jose Reyes; as acquiring Reyes talents would put Boston over the top.
Fact is no matter the team, if any, were lucky enough to trade for Reyes, they would without question get better. On a team as skilled as the Red Sox his addition would be lethal.
No doubt the Red Sox’s weakest link is Marcus Scutaro at shortstop. Still, one would think that Boston’s off-season acquisitions of Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez would suffice when added to a line-up that already has Dustin Pedroia, Big Papi, Kevin Youkilis and Jacoby Ellsburyto breed enough confidence but I guess Mr. Cafardo doesn’t agree.
The Mets price mid-season for Reyes would and should be huge. So, is it worth it for Boston to cripple their already depleted farm system and possibly plus another significant player?
My guess, if anything the package that could entice the Mets would have to include the likes of a Papelbon and a truckload of prospects. Boston skipper Terry Francona can rotate around Daniel Bard, Dan Wheeler and Alfredo Aceves in the closing role.
Who knows if Paps’ contract has a no-trade because you can bet he will pass on going to queens and wait to hit the free agent market at the end of 2011 instead. He is not the same closer he once was that is for sure.
That is just my thoughts on the situation, but according to Cafardo the Red Sox need for a better shortstop is grave.
Any team with a player as talented as Jose Reyes is getting more than just a good shortstop, as he is a five tool player.
The Globes Cafardo’s idea of the Red Sox obtaining Reyes would defiantly stick it to the Yankees.
Hopefully this was like the idea I had last week, when the Yankees were trading with the Phillies for Roy Halladay. Kidding…..
- Time to go and get this Met (boston.com)
- Cafardo On Reyes, Soriano, Braves, Myers (mlbtraderumors.com)
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Mets Should Not Trade A Keeper (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- MLB Trade Rumors: Should Boston Red Sox Break Bank for Jose Reyes? (bleacherreport.com)
- Cafardo’s Latest: Bell, Kazmir, Kendall, Aramis (mlbtraderumors.com)
- Mets to wait on Reyes until Tuesday at earliest (espn.go.com)
- News briefs: Reyes to make rehab start before return (cbssports.com)