When ESPN reported the news that 2011 NL MVP Ryan Braun had tested positive for PEDs (performance enhancing drugs) it reminded me that baseball still had a dirty mistress.
That statement was right after slugger Mark McGuire omission, which sparked me to write an article naming PEDs Baseball’s Dirty Mistress. As Selig seem to be living in denial, when in essence he should have done more years ago.
For now, Braun is maintaining his innocence and plans on appealing the standard 50-game suspension through an arbitration hearing.
So, commenting too much further on the matter is somewhat unfair, as we haven’t heard the entire story yet.
The only fact that ESPN confirmed is that Braun took a urine test during the October playoffs, and was informed before the end of the month of his failed results. The test found elevated levels of testosterone that was later confirmed to not be of the natural kind, meaning that Braun did not produce the testosterone, and that it came from outside his body.
This means that MLB darn well knew they were handing the 2011 NL MVP Award to a player who had just failed a drug test; and in turn that player, Braun, felt no guilt accepting the season’s biggest honor.
Braun had this to say after he was announced the MVP winner:
My question is how big an ego does this guy have?
Obviously bigger than I initially thought, as the guilt and mental anguish alone would have wrecked me, but not Braun.
In my opinion, Braun should have forgone his name from the potential MVP nominee list; or at least MLB should have done something because the PR backlash is going to be off the charts once this story starts to unfold.
This just puts another mark on the game itself, and a reminder how sad we thought we once were.
I just want to know why would MLB dupe us?
- Ryan Braun: Why PED Test Proves Matt Kemp Deserves 2011 MVP (bleacherreport.com)
- Source: NL MVP Braun disputes postive drug test (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- NL MVP Ryan Braun Facing 50-Game Suspension after Testing Positive for PEDs (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- NL MVP To Ryan Braun Screw You Matt Kemp (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- Report: National League MVP Ryan Braun Failed A Performance-Enhancing-Drug Test [Ryan Braun] (deadspin.com)
- OTL: Braun fails PED test, faces 50-game ban (espn.go.com)
- HBT: NL MVP Braun reportedly tests positive for PEDs (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Braun tests positive for PEDs (timesunion.com)
- Braun, N.L. M.V.P., Reportedly Had Positive Drug Test (nytimes.com)