The life of sports fan can be mind-boggling at times.
Days are filled with fantasy teams, power rankings and ESPN as your emotions hang on a team or an individual athlete’s performance.
It fuels a passion beyond any restraint, which explains why we fans can’t get enough, most of the time.
As a New Year approaches, I started to reflect on 2010, and three stories stood out.
They were not the greatest sports stories but the headlines that started to make ESPN seem more like TMZ.
So, which headline gave me the biggest headache in 2010?
My mother, who is a wonderful woman, could care less about sports. This woman reads a book at Yankees games, has been to three Super Bowl‘s in the 70s, sat on the 50-yard line but can’t remember who was playing and all she recalls is how it was too loud.
So the fact that she even knew about “the decision” gave proof that I was not just a crazy sports fan who watched too much ESPN.
The idea that Lebron James could take his talents anywhere made 2010 the most-anticipated NBA season ever.
The entire nation was obsessed, as cities everywhere groveled in attempts to land James, even going as far as using huge poster boards begging James to come play.
It was a pathetic display that I never imagined would get so out of control.
These were no longer the days when athletes based decisions on loyalty.
Now a decision became our reality, as an athlete became bigger than his sport.
The media counted the seconds until the moment James sat down. “The Decision’ drew more national viewership than the President’s State Of The Union Address just days earlier. All to hear one athlete declare that his talents where Miami Heat bound.
It was a sad day for me as a sports fan, but I was glued to my TV like everyone else.
- Tensions Heat up over LeBron’s return to Cleveland (sports.inquirer.net)
- This Thursday LeBron James’ Talents Will Be In Cleveland Ohio (thekortneyshanepillar.wordpress.com)
- Is LeBron James The Michael Scott Of The NBA? (bleacherreport.com)
- LeBron James: Why He’s NOT Your Child’s Role Model In Miami (bleacherreport.com)
- LeBron James: Why Leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers Will Haunt the King Forever (bleacherreport.com)
- LeBron James of Miami Heat ready for Cleveland’s reaction (sports.espn.go.com)