Hellickson went 13-10 over 29 starts in his rookie season. The 24-year old righty posted a 2.95 ERA, with 117 strikeouts and pitched 189 innings total. That is no easy feat for any pitcher, but for a rookie to put up those numbers in the heavy hitting AL East makes it even more impressive.
Kimbrel set a new rookie record with 46 saves in the regular season. In 77 innings pitched, Kimbrel posted a 2.10 ERA, a 1.04 WHIP and had 127 strikeouts. The 23-year old righty was named to the 2011 NL All-Star team, and he swept the ROY voting, getting all 32 first place nods.
Below are the 2011 ROY voting totals:
- Craig Kimbrel, Jeremy Hellickson named Rookies of the Year (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- 2011 MLB Rookie of the Year Awards: Pitching Rules Day for Kimbrel, Hellickson (bleacherreport.com)
- Jeremy Hellickson and Craig Kimbrel Named MLB Rookies Of The Year (tracking.si.com)
- MLB Rookies Of The Year 2011: Braves’ Craig Kimbrel Takes NL Award, Rays’ Jeremy Hellickson Wins AL (huffingtonpost.com)
- 2011 MLB Rookies Of The Year Named (yussports.wordpress.com)