Ok, it is time to learn the basics of what goes on in a baseball game, and to make it easier for the newbie it will be split into two posts, over two weeks.
Part One will cover the bare bones about # of games, game break down and how a batter can get on base.
Baseball season starts in February and ends in October, consisting of three segments, preseason, regular season and post-season.
- Pre-season or Spring Training starts in February.
- Regular Season starts the first week in April, ending in late September – early October.
- Post-Season or Playoffs takes up the month of October, finishing up with the World Series.
There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball.
In a regular season each team plays 162 games.*
- Each team uses nine players in a game.
- A baseball game is played for nine innings.*
- Each inning lasts through both teams having a chance at bat and in the field.
- To start the game, the visiting team will be up at bat first while the home team takes the field.
- The team at bat hits through three outs and then the teams switch.
UP AT BAT
- The goal of the game is to score runs.
- In order to score a run the batter must safely touch first, second, and third bases and end back at home plate.
- There are many ways to score runs and for batters to get on a base. Here are the basics:
- SINGLE: a batter makes it safely to first base.
- DOUBLE: a batter makes it safely to second base without stopping.
- TRIPLE: a the batter makes it safely to third base without stopping.
- HOME RUN: a batter makes it safely around all bases, and back to home without stopping.
- GRAND-SLAM: is a home run, when all the bases are already occupied with a runner, or when the bases or loaded.
- WALK: when the batter is pitched four balls, automatically sending him to first base.
- HIT BY PITCH: the pitcher hits the batter with the ball, automatically allowing him to go to first base.
- ERROR: is when the fielding team makes a mistake (bad throw ir dropping a ball) thus allowing the batter to safely make it to a base. Recorded as an error by the fielder, no credit for a hit given to the batter.
* exception of tied record within a divison where an extra game is played to decide post-season spot.
* in the event of a tied score at the end of the ninth inning, a game goes into extra innings until an inning ends with one team having more runs scored.