The only sure thing is the one team will be crowned the champs, while the other will join the long list of World Series meltdowns.
Before getting to my prediction, read my posts about the good, the bad and the ugly about both the RANGERS and the CARDINALS. (Click on team name to read previews.) Click HERE for TV schedule for all World Series games.
So, who do think has the upper hand in this battle royal?
MY 2011 WORLD SERIES PREDICTION:
On paper the Rangers have a slight edge over the Cardinals, but neither team has an overwhelming advantage over the other.
Looking at the regular season numbers, the Rangers have better starting rotation, but not as much vs. the Cardinals. See, the strength of the Cardinals hitters is the long-ball and the Rangers starters have given up 16 of the team’s 20 home-runs this postseason, with six off Rangers ace CJ Wilson. Wilson only gave up 16 homers in the regular season, so they need a big start from him in Game 1.
While the Rangers have the edge in their starting rotation, as they feature three lefties, which could make it tougher for the Cardinals righty dominate bats to get going. This is pending on at least two of the three lefties kicking it up a notch.
Both teams have recent World Series experience, with the Cardinals making their third trip in the last eight years to the big show; while it is the second time in Rangers franchise history but in back-to back seasons.
Not being World Series virgins is a huge benefit for the Rangers. The Texas players know what to expect instead of going in blindfolded; and the experience of not winning last year could be a vital asset.
Still, the Cardinals knocked out the invincible Phillies and beat a tough Brew-Crew in their own house, which is still hard to comprehend.
You got to go straight from the gut with this World Series prediction…and my gut’s intuition is:
St. Louis Cardinals beat the Texas Rangers in six games.
- 2011 WS Preview: St. Louis Cardinals (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- 2011 WS Preview: Texas Rangers (ladylovespinstripes.com)
- 2011 World Series Schedule: Rangers Start as Narrow Favorites (inquisitr.com)
- World Series Preview: Cardinals and Rangers set to face-off (wrapupp.com)
- World Series preview: Cardinals vs. Rangers (aol.sportingnews.com)
- St. Louis Cardinals to Meet Texas Rangers in 2011 World Series (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- 2011 World Series Odds: Texas Rangers vs. St. Louis Cardinals Prediction (touthouse.com)
- Rangers boast superior lineup, deeper rotation (cbc.ca)