Beating the Detroit Tigers to open the season 6-3 at home is the best way to start a season.
Let me tell you that Tiger line-up is frightening, with the new Miguel Cabrera sandwich of Magglio Ordonez and Victor Martinez. Cabrera drunk, sober or stoned really doesn’t matter because this guy can hit. Even after the numerous times I have been to a Tigers/Yankees game, Cabrera still amazes me with his natural talent.
Does it remind me of Robinson Cano?
Yes, but Cabrera is better, which is tough to proclaim considering Cano’s numbers but it is the truth.
In his first at-bat today against CC Sabathia, Cabrera hit a bullet of a line drive. Cabrera luckily only made to to first-base, which any in-shape player would have turned into a double.
Sabathia managed to get through six innings and the Yankees ace looked great.
After CC, the Yankees bullpen shutdown the Tigers bats Joba in the seventh, Soriano to Mariano in the eighth and ninth. This is a bullpen in charge, with dominance not seen in over a decade when Rivera was Garland’s set-up back in the mid-90’s.
What a nice weapon for skipper Joe Girardi to have in his pocket. If the bullpen stays healthy, Yankees starters can pitch six-inning games.
Not to jinx anything or anyone’s day one performance, I will summarize that the Yankees won 6-3 with almost the entire line-up playing a part offensively. The player of the game was without question, Curtis Granderson. Granderson made two phenomenal catches in centerfield, along with a bomb to the right porch to secure the Yankees win. A-rod is so locked in at the plate, beware pitchers and the Captain drove in a run as well. The team was about the only thing hot in all of New York City today, as temperatures feel more like February, not April.
For your pleasure, here are some of my very amateur pictures from the 2011 Opening Day afternoon. Please try and imagine Yankee Stadium as an igloo because that is what it felt like.
- Teixeira, Granderson propel Yankees past Tigers (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Granderson, Teixeira help Yankees double-up Tigers (tsn.ca)
- Deep homers lift Yankees over Tigers (msn.foxsports.com)
- Yankees make winning start (theglobeandmail.com)
- Granderson, Teixeira help Yanks win opener (boston.com)
- Ahead Of Opener, CC Picks Yankees To Win World Series (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Granderson, Teixeira hit home runs as Yankees win opener (thestar.com)
- Tigers freeze up late, drop opener to Yanks 6-3 (boston.com)
- Yankees Beat Tigers 6-3 On Opening Day (huffingtonpost.com)
- Yankees Open With A Win (newyork.cbslocal.com)